Saturday, May 9, 2015

Oh, the options!

As Jacob said in the previous post, there are A LOT of options available with the Lakeland floor plan we chose. You might think it’s a relatively easy decision to make. I like this floor plan better than that one. So you choose that particular floor plan. Done. Bu then you  have to decide which structural options you want to purchase. Sunroom. Check. Arched entryways. Check. Luxury kitchen. Check. You get the idea. I was kind of proud myself for making those decisions with little trouble and frustration, but boy was I wrong to think that the decision-making stopped there! I figured out quickly why I was proud of myself for making those decisions so quickly. It’s because those were the EASY decisions!

When our builder’s sale rep scheduled our selections appointment and recommended that we come in the weekend before to get a head start, I thought to myself, I don’t think that’s necessary, but it sounds like a good idea. So we did. And we were there for two hours! We would have stayed longer but the sales office was closing and I certainly didn’t want to make anyone work late because I couldn’t decide what color I wanted the grout in the shower to be! So that leads us to all the selections we have to choose: Siding color, brick color, shingle color, hardwood floor (style and color), carpet (style and color), tile color, grout color, countertops (style and color for kitchen AND bathroom), cabinets (style and color for kitchen AND bathroom), door color, and hand rail color for staircases. I feel like Jacob and I had a bit of a “is the dress blue and black, or white and gold” scenario, which made things a bit more difficult. Not to mention that we thought we had made all our final decisions and then took all the samples from the basement where they are displayed up to the living room and noticed we hated half the colors when you look at them in sunlight rather than the harsh fluorescent lights in the basement. Crap. I felt kind of defeated, but instantly felt better when I realized we had saved ourselves from having the biggest, ugliest house in the neighborhood.

After we left the sales office we decided to go cruise around the new neighborhood and look at the brick and siding color combinations other people chose because of course we hadn’t decided that yet. I felt like the paparazzi taking a picture of each house as we slowly, and admittingly creepily, drove through the neighborhood. Afterwards Jacob cut elements we liked from different photos and mod-podged them together. He’ll share that in aother post.


So, for now we *think* we know what we want. Our selection appointment is this weekend, and we’ll share what we finally decide on.

-KiDahn

No comments:

Post a Comment